To finish out the section on access covers, I had to do some work on the tunnel cover.
As I am installing the Control Approach pedals with the cable arms sitting inside the tunnel, I need to split the tunnel cover around these cable arms. Thankfully, Paul at Control Approach provided a template (which also acts as a doubler) that made it easy to split the tunnel cover at the correct location with correctly sized cutouts.
After marking the center line of the cable arms in the neutral position, these marks were transferred over to the tunnel cover, and the template was used to mark cutout lines.
 |
| Using tape to mark the center line of the rudder cable arms, and then transferring those marks to the tunnel sides |
 |
| Marks transferred to tunnel cover, with the template/doubler being used to mark cut lines |
 |
| Doubler match drilled to tunnel cover |
I also decided to split the tunnel again near the fuel selector as others have done, and after fabricating a doubler to go there as well, I match drilled it to the tunnel cover.
 |
| Doubler for second tunnel split near the fuel selector. I also punched the hole in the tunnel cover to 3/4 inch diameter for the fuel selector extension. This removed the prepunched holes for the Van's fuel selector valve that I will not be using |
 |
| Tunnel cover cut and split for rudder cable arms using a step drill and band saw to perform the rough cut, followed by filing to final dimensions. I tested the full range of rudder cable arm movement to make sure there was no binding against the cutouts, and filed where needed |
 |
| Tunnel cover split near the fuel selector |
 |
| Both splits in the tunnel cover are complete and fit well when clecoed |
 |
| I also drilled holes in the forward tunnel cover and doubler to attach the rear cabin heat duct bracket in this location. This allows the duct to run in between the rudder cable arms and down the center of the tunnel. I will not be installing the duct bracket at the stock tunnel location specified in the plans, and will instead use the Aerosport Fuel Selector Air Bypass to guide the rear heat duct around the fuel selector |
 |
| Tunnel cover primed and temporarily reattached to verify fit |
 |
| Rudder cable arms move smoothly through the cutouts |
 |
| Baggage area and rear seat tunnel covers were also primed and placed over the tunnel to verify everything fits correctly |
Dates: June 9 - June 22 2026