33 - Baggage Area - final assembly and riveting

Continuing on with riveting the baggage area together, I first riveted nutplates onto the Upper Baggage Door Seal Channel. I used blind rivets for one of the attach holes on each nutplate due to those being impossible to reach with a bucking bar. I was able to use the pneumatic squeezer on the other attach holes.

Nutplates riveted to the door seal channel

Blind rivets used where it is impossible to reach with a standard bucking bar

Next it was time to rivet both baggage floors in place. Feeling confident that the conduit runs and under floor electrical runs were adequate for my needs, I clecoed both the baggage floors and rear seat floors into place, along with the bottom rear seat back hinge, and then began pulling CS4-4 rivets

Ready to final rivet the baggage floors into place

Pulling blind rivets was easy (left baggage floor). I just had to make sure that the rivet puller was tight against and inline with the head of the rivet prior to starting the pull 

After completing the blind rivets, I used solid rivets to attach the baggage floor flanges to the F-1006B fuselage bulkhead along with nutplates

I then attached nutplates along the inboard edges of both baggage floors, and also riveted the two Baggage Floor Angles to the baggage floors and skins.

Left Baggage Floor Angle riveted to the floor and skin 

Nutplates attached along the inboard edges of both baggage floors

Right baggage floor complete

Right baggage floor flange riveted to F-1006B bulkhead

Right Baggage Floor angle riveted in place

With the Baggage Floor Angles attached, the only skin rivets left are those around the baggage door

Right baggage floor angle skin rivets all easily bucked

Moving on to the baggage door area, I riveted the Lower Baggage Door Seal angle along with the shim to the side skin. Space is tight, but I was able to fit my rectangular tungsten bar onto most of these with the exception of the rivet at each end.

Lower Baggage Door Seal channel riveted to skin. 

Upper Baggage Door Seal channel was also riveted to the F-1006 bulkhead using a combination of blind and solid rivets

I then temporarily attached the Lower Baggage bulkhead to the Baggage Floor flanges and match drilled #19 the holes into the left side baggage bulkhead and Baggage Bulkhead channel while making sure the channel was centered and securely held in place.

Screw holes for baggage bulkhead match drilled on the left and down the center

I also match drilled #30 the holes in the Right Baggage Cover into the Baggage Floor and longeron.

Right baggage cover flange holes match drilled to longeron and baggage floor

With the right baggage cover match drilled, I was able to complete drilling of screw holes from the lower baggage bulkhead cover into the underlying right side baggage bulkhead

I then clecoed the upper baggage bulkhead cover into place and match drilled #19 those additional screw holes into the baggage bulkhead. I did not match drill the two holes in the top center of the upper baggage bulkhead cover because cutouts will be made here to accommodate the Aerosport Products Overhead Vent Valve and ducts

Next I drilled nutplate attach holes into the baggage bulkhead, deburred all holes, and riveted nutplates in place.

Nutplate attach holes match drilled from the right baggage cover into the baggage bulkhead

Nutplate attach holes along the left side of the baggage bulkhead through the flange of the upper baggage door seal channel

Pneumatic squeezer was used to attach nutplate to the baggage bulkhead

I temporarily clecoed the overhead vent flanges in place to verify fit and clearance for the required 2-inch holes in the bulkhead

I then dimpled the nutplate attach holes in the Right Baggage cover, and added holes near the top edge for additional nutplates to ease future attachment of the Aerosport Products side panels.

Two additional nutplates added along the top edge of the right baggage cover that will be used to secure
the Aerosport side panel in future

I had previously modified the F-6114B and C wear blocks as depicted in the plans, and now positioned and match drilled them to the baggage bulkhead corrugations

Left side wear block

Right side wear block

After priming the Right Baggage cover, I riveted on the #6 nutplates, and riveted the cover into the fuselage.

Nutplates attached on the inside of the right baggage cover that will be used to attach the Aerosport Products side panel.

Baggage cover riveted into the fuselage

Nutplates were mostly riveted using the pneumatic squeezer, except for the bottom most rivet which had to be bucked

Rivets attaching the right baggage cover to the baggage bulkhead

In order to finish riveting the Lower Baggage Door Seal channel I used a steel bucking bar with a 45 degree angle to set the rivets at either end of the channel

Lower Baggae Door Seal channel fully riveted to the side skin 

I was then able to rivet the close out panel to the lower baggage door seal channel

Finally, I closed out this section by riveting the bottom end of the Baggage Bulkhead channel to the Bellcrank rib. These were bucked fairly easily.

Baggage bulkhead channel attached to the Bellcrank rib

There was enough room to get a small tungsten bucking bar in-between the Bellcrank ribs to set the rivets 

Dates:    April 8 - June 29 2026