Van's Trailing Edge Kit - Part 2 - 2nd Attempt

One more practice kit before I start working on my RV-10. Here I wanted to build another trailing edge to see if I had learned anything from my first attempt. 

This time around I started by removing the blue film only over the rivet lines. Once the soldering iron gets to the right temperature (level 4 setting on mine), film removal is pretty easy.

Parts prepared and ready to drill and rivet

Match-drilling the skin stiffeners

A vise is also very useful if working alone. Clamping parts in place makes for a much easier time when riveting those parts together.

Trailing edge skeleton ready to rivet

Match-drilling the skins

I think I could have done a better job when drilling the trailing edge wedge, as the wedge was not clamped flush with the forward edge of the skins. It actually was a little behind the forward edge, and that resulted in some issues (discussed later) when riveting the trailing edge together. 

I also didn't have a lot of success riveting the rib rivets closest to the trailing edge. Using a chisel did not work well. I was able to use my 3/16" bucking bar with some success on one side, but it did not fit well on the opposite side (once a rivet had been set on the first side) and that resulted in the trailing rib rivets not setting well. I think when I build the rudder I will plan to use pull rivets when things get too tight for the squeezers.

Finally, I experimented with alternating the direction of the trailing edge rivets. However I didn't like the look, and also feel it affected the integrity of the trailing edge as I riveted all the alternating rivets in one direction, and then the other rather than riveting from the center outward. I'll stick to riveting in one direction only when I build the rudder and other similar parts.

All parts drilled and deburred... time to rivet everything together

The leading edge bend went so much better than the first attempt. I used gorilla tape to hold the pipe to the skin and only did a 45 degree initial bend. After that I slowly bent the two skins by hand. This resulted in a much more symmetrical bend as seen below.

There was still some pillowing between skin edges when I pull riveted the skins together, but noticeably less than in the first trailing edge I built. I still need to see how to work around that, but I am thinking that taking more time to ensure the skin bends are even along the entire edge might help reduce the pillowing.

Leading edge done

And with this, my last practice kit is complete. Now that I have my RV-10 empennage kit inventoried and safely stored and organized, I'm planning to start work on it tomorrow.
 
Trailing edge complete

Trailing Edge comparison (1st attempt on the left and 2nd attempt on the right)

                                  One side...                                                              and the other side

A closer comparison (1st attempt is on the left)

If you look at the comparison below, you can see that the trailing edge on my 2nd attempt (right) is bending up slightly. I think this is partly because 
  1. the rib rivets closest to the trailing edge were not set correctly
  2. the trailing edge wedge was not clamped flush with the skin trailing edges
  3. I experimented with alternating the rivet directions on the trailing edge (maybe not an issue)
Leading edge comparison (1st attempt is on the left)

Lessons Learned

  • Rivet the trailing edge in one direction, from center outwards. I don't like the look of alternating rivets.
  • Ensure that the trailing edge wedge is flush with the skin edge. Don't let the wedge slip backwards while clamped.
  • Try to find a way to reduce pillowing further between rolled skins. Not. really a lesson learned but something to keep in mind for the rudder, elevators and flaps.
  • Use pull rivets (MK-319-BS) for the most trailing rib rivet, or when space gets too tight to set regular rivets.

Date: June 24 - June 27 2022

Time Taken: 7.3 hours