Laser Cut Parts Update - October 2023

Status as of October 9, 2023

For my build log, and for the purposes of keeping accurate records, I have decided to summarize my situation around the laser cut parts (LCPs) issues that Van's is currently working through.

My (somewhat small) stack of "replacement recommended" laser cut wing parts... details below...

In my case, I have so far received both the empennage and wing kits for my RV-10, and have the fuselage kit on order with a scheduled crating date of December 2023 / January 2024.

Inspections

For the purposes of inspecting rivets and dimples in already assembled parts, I have purchased this borescope. I decided to spend a little more and purchase a borescope that will also be useful for engine inspections once I start flying... one day...

Empennage Kit

In the empennage kit, I have only a few parts that are possibly laser cut. The reason I say possibly is that these pieces did not come wrapped in blue vinyl, but I also don't know what date was originally on the part sticker so cannot determine if it was manufactured prior to LCPs being available. 

Replacement Recommended

  • E-1020 - Right Trim Tab Spar
  • E-920 - Left Trim Tab Spar
  • E-903 - Elevator Tip Rib
  • E-904 - Elevator Tip Rib

Acceptable For Use

  • F-1007-L - Fuselage Frame
  • F-1007-R - Fuselage Frame
  • F-1008-L - Fuselage Frame
  • F-1008-R - Fuselage Frame
  • F-1009 - Fuselage Frame
  • R-1010 - Rudder Stiffener Shear Clip
  • R-1015 - Rudder Stiffeners
I will definitely replace the E-920 and E-1020 trim tab spars. These are easy to replace as I have not yet assembled the trim tabs due to an earlier mistake in bending.

The elevator tip ribs, however, have been riveted in, and as I mentioned I am not sure if they were laser cut. Van's started getting these parts laser cut on March 11 and April 27 2022. My kit was shipped around June 9 2022 so it is possible I received parts that were punched prior to those dates. The missing blue vinyl could be explained by the fact that these parts are heat treated. My plan here is not to disassemble my elevator, but to inspect regularly for any cracks when I start flying and replace at that point if needed.

I also did an initial inspection of the tip ribs with my new borescope and did not see any cracking around the riveted dimples.

The "Acceptable for Use" parts will all be inspected and monitored, with the exception of the rudder parts. I'll probably end up rebuilding my rudder because the stiffeners and shear clips are pretty well hidden (those were definitely laser cut), and comparing the build quality of the rudder with pieces I am assembling now I feel that I could do a much better job on it the second time around. 

Wing Kit

The LCP issue came to light right around the time I started working on my wing assembly. At that time, I made the decision to not rivet any parts that looked like they had been laser cut. Upon inspection, I found that I have a number of parts in the wing kit that were laser cut, and I'll be replacing all of these with punched parts as it's an easy (no brainer) fix at this stage.

The laser cut parts I have (that will be replaced before continuing) are

Replacement Recommended

  • A-1005-1L - Main Rib
  • A-1005-1R - Main Rib
  • A-1015-1L - Inboard Nose Rib
  • A-1015-1R - Inboard Nose Rib
  • FL-1004-L - Flap Nose Rib
  • FL-1004-R - Flap Nose Rib
  • W-1006-F - Spar Splice Plate
  • W-1010-L-1 - Inboard Wing Rib .032
  • W-1010-R-1 - Inboard Wing Rib .032
  • W-1011-L - Inboard Wing Rib .025
  • W-1011-R - Inboard Wing Rib .025
  • W-1025B - Flap Hinge Rib
  • W-1029A-L - Torque Tube Bracket
  • W-1029A-R - Torque Tube Bracket
  • W-1029B-L - Torque Tube Bracket
  • W-1029B-R - Torque Tube Bracket

Acceptable For Use

  • A-710 - Aileron Stiffener
  • T-1002 - Tank Baffle
  • T-1003B-L - Tank Inboard Main Rib
  • T-1003B-R - Tank Inboard Main Rib
  • T-1003C-L - Tank Inboard Nose Rib
  • T-1003C-R - Tank Inboard Nose Rib
  • T-1003-L - Fuel Tank End Rib
  • T-1004-L-1 - Fuel Tank Rib
  • T-1004-R-1 - Fuel Tank Rib
  • T-1011 - Tank Stiffener
  • VA-195C - Access Hatch Doubler
  • W-1008-L - Leading Edge Rib
  • W-1008-R - Leading Edge Rib
  • W-1009-L-3 - Leading Edge Rib
  • W-1009-R-3 - Leading Edge Rib
  • W-1012-L - Outboard Wing Rib
  • W-1012-R - Outboard Wing Rib
  • W-1021-L - Flap Gap Fairing
  • W-1021-R - Flap Gap Fairing
  • W-1024-L - Aileron Gap Fairing
  • W-1024-R - Aileron Gap Fairing
In the 'Acceptable For Use' list, I have omitted any parts that Van's designated as Green. I only have a few such parts (wing walk doublers, shims) that may be laser cut, and after reading the engineering report, I feel confident that I should not encounter any issues using these parts in my build. 

I have also decided to proceed with blue 'Acceptable For Use' parts, and will carefully inspect them after assembly. If I notice any cracking after dimpling and/or riveting, I will replace those as needed.

Fuselage Kit

Because my fuselage kit is yet to be shipped, I don't expect to receive any laser cut parts once it is ready for me to pick up.

Ongoing Build...

Due to the number of laser cut parts I received in my wing kit, I cannot proceed through the sections in order of plan steps. So until I receive replacements and/or receive my fuselage kit, I'll be jumping around in the various wing sections working on pieces that don't use laser parts, and my build log posts for the near future will reflect that...