Wing Cradle

As I am finishing up the wing spar preparation, I decided it was a good time to build the wing cradle that many other builders have constructed. I followed Mouser's wing cradle instructions, and spent a few hours cutting lumber to the required lengths and screwing/glueing the parts together.

Wing cradle as I hope it looks after I am done constructing mine. Image courtesy of mouser.org

Supply List
  • Castering wheels x 4
  • 2x6x10' x 2
  • 2x4x10' x 3
  • 2x4x8'   x 1
  • 16" x 8' length of carpet
Cut Schedule (courtesy of mouser.org)

10'28"28"28"24"9"
10'28"24"24"24"16"
10'24"24"23.75"23.75"16"
8'23.75"10.25"10.25"10.25"10.25

Cutting all lumber to size per the cut schedule with a miter saw

After cutting the lumber, I laid out the 3 frames that are connected with the 10' 2x6s. This helped me make sure that I was using the correct pieces in the correct locations. Once the layout was confirmed, I began constructing the frames using screws and wood glue to hold everything together tightly.

3 frames laid out on the garage floor prior to assembly. 

A few hours later, wing cradle frame construction was done. I added a brace, mid-span between the 10ft 2x6s, for additional support, and used 5" castering wheels for mobility. Otherwise, I followed the instructions exactly and am happy with how the cradle turned out. 

Wing cradle frame complete, viewed from inboard end...

...and from outboard end

Outboard end where carpeting and strapping will be added

This part supports the inboard ends of the spars

Rather than putting carpet across the outboard end of the cart, I decided instead to go with a few heavy duty straps. I purchased a 27ft ratchet strap rated for a working load of 3300lbs (10000lbs load limit), and cut it into 3 x 8ft sections. This should be more than strong enough to hold the outboard leading edges of both wings once constructed, and also gives me the option of replacing a strap without needing to remove the wings if one starts to wear over time.

Heavy duty ratchet strap as received. I was able to use scissors to cut off the hook and create 3 x 8ft lengths of strapping to use for the wing cradle

After cutting the 8ft strap sections, I used a glue gun to add glue to the strap ends to prevent fraying, and stapled each strap to the outboard middle post of the cart at its midpoint. I'll staple the outside ends of each strap later once I get to working on the outboard leading edges of the wings. 

Straps stapled to the center post of the wing cart. Once I determine the appropriate loop length I will finish stapling the straps to the outer posts

For now the wing cart is done. Time to get back to working on the wings.

Build Hints

  • If purchasing lumber, check wood for straightness as it makes construction much easier if everything lines up without additional force.
  • Heavy duty straps should work at least as well as (if not better than) a section of carpeting, however if I later find that carpeting is a better option, I can easily add it over the straps.

Time Taken:     6.8 hours

Dates:                August 5 - August 17 2023

Wings Total Time:                  31.0 hours
RV-10 Build Total Time:      442.2 hours

Priming Total Time:                     44.3 hours (not included in build time totals)